Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Grilled pork chops with blueberry sauce

I have a confession to make, I did not feel like cooking tonight (I guess it's a good thing that I made this recipe a few days ago!). It's not something that happens often to be honest, but every once in a while I just wish dinner would magically make itself.

Tonight since it is sunny outside (even if it's a little chilly), I feel like sitting outside and enjoy the sun while sipping a nice sangria (I have this great recipe I've been dying to try...)! I guess I'll have to settle for the next best thing which is playing softball and drinking beer with friends!

Anyways, even if I did not cook tonight, the reason why I chose to post this recipe is because this is one of Rachel Ray's famous 30 minute meals. I know you hear it all the time "this is quick and simple" "this can be done in no time" and you end up slaving away in the kitchen for what seems like forever, but it this case it's true, it really takes no time at all to make and you'll get a great meal.


This is also one of those recipes where fruits and meat are put together to create a unique tasting dish. The lemon zest in the couscous gives it a fresh taste and the blueberry and the thyme is always a wining combo. Hope you enjoy!

Grilled pork chops with blueberry sauce
5 tablespoons olive oil 
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 pt. blueberries
2 tbsp. sugar
1 lemon, zested (use only half of the zest for the couscous) and juiced
3 sprigs thyme
Salt and pepper
4 bone-in, 1/2-inch-thick pork chops (7 oz. each)
1 box (10 oz.) couscous (1½ cups)
2/3 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
 
 

Preheat a grill. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-low heat; add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.

Stir in the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, thyme sprigs and 1/2 tsp. pepper.

Simmer until the blueberries have released their juices and the compote has thickened, about 5 minutes. Discard the thyme sprigs and keep the sauce warm.

Brush the pork chops with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning once, for 8 to 10 minutes for medium; remove from the grill and let stand.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, prepare the couscous according to package directions. Fluff with a fork, then stir in the parsley, lemon zest and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.

Spoon the couscous onto plates. Add the chops and any juices and spoon the berry compote on top.

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment