Thursday, September 29, 2011

Italian Plum Goodness

Judging by the weather outside today, I guess that Fall as finally arrived. Although I'm not crazy about the rainy cold weather (especially when I have a ton of errands to run), I do enjoy cooking on a chilly Fall day. Soups, roasts and stews are a welcome changed from the salads that we've been eating all summer because it was simply to hot out to cook or eat anything else. It's also nice to finally be able to watch new shows on tv (as opposed to the summer re-runs), wrapped up in a blanket and drinking a hot chocolate...
During the fall and winter months, I also tend to bake more and today was no exception. I went to the local organic market and bought myself some Italian plums and made a plum crumble. It was delicious!!!! I've always enjoyed Italian plums (actually if you've been following my blog you'll realize that I love pretty much all fruits), but I had never cooked with them until last year. I can't believe I missed out on such delicious goodness for so long! They are so simple to bake with and I have yet to find someone who did not enjoy any of the desserts I made with them.
So if like me you are new to baking with Italian plums, don't hesitate to try! The plum crumble that I made today is a good way to start as it makes a small quantity so if you don't care for the cooked plums, at least you won't have to eat it for a week!

Enjoy!

Fall Italian Plum Crumble

Fruit filling:

9-10 Italian Plums (pit removed and cut into four)
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons flour
Crumble:

3/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pre-heat the oven to 350F (if you're using a toaster oven, there is no real need to pre-heat)
Using a little butter, grease a small oven safe dish (big enough for 2-3 people or use 2-3 ramekins)
Place the cut plums and the bottom of the dish. Add the sugar, the cinnamon and the flour.
In a separate bowl, mix all the ingredients for the crumble.
Pour on top of the plums.
Bake for 15 minutes or until the top is golden brown!
Serves 2

No comments:

Post a Comment