Friday, September 2, 2011

Dealing with change and pesto pasta salad

This week has not been an ordinary week. It started off with an unexpected, but truly deserved victory from our softball team in the quarter finals, kicking out the team that had been the champion for the past 6 years. So far so good, but things went down the hill quickly... yesterday morning 1,700 of my co-workers (including myself) walked out the job. 1,700 of us, fighting for our rights, fighting for parity, fighting for what we deserve. While I'm all about the cause, it is still scary. Not knowing how long this will last and dealing with strike pay is not that easy, but I hope that it will worth all the hard work in the end. On the bright side, I only have to picket 4 hours a day, bright and early 7:30-11:30, which means a lot more time to get things done around the house, to write my blog and of course to cook!

Today is also a very special day for me. Today I turn 30. If you had asked me a few years ago, even a few months ago how I was going to spend this day, I would have told you that I wanted a big party with my friends. But with the threat of a strike (and now the reality of a strike), the party's been cancel to favour a more quiet night with my husband who also turned 30 last week. It is not what I had planned, but spending time with the person I love, my best friend is more than enough for me.

Even if I can't have a big party, I'm still gonna spoil myself food wise. This morning, before I go on the picket line, I'm making crepes and for lunch, one of my all-time favourite, pesto pasta salad with cherry tomatoes and feta cheese!
The mix of feta and sweet cherry tomatoes with the pesto is wonderful and this recipe can be put together very quickly. If you are not gifted in the kitchen, this is also a great recipe for you. Just buy your pesto instead of making it, boil the pasta, add the rest and voila!

Enjoy!!

Pesto Pasta Salad

1 box of whole wheat pasta (you can use regular pasta, but whole wheat gives it an extra kick)
1 pint of cherry tomato, cut in half
1 cup of feta cheese, diced (save about 1/4 cup of the juice)
3/4 to 1 cup of pesto (depends on how much you like pesto)

Cook the pasta until they are al-dente, drain and set aside
Dice the feta cheese and dice the cherry tomatoes and set aside
Add the pesto and the reserve feta "juice" to the pasta. Mix well.
Add the cheese and the tomatoes and mix until they are lightly covered with pesto.
Serve at room temperature
Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment