Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pesto time!

Is it me or it has been getting a lot cooler at nights lately? As much as I hate to admit it, it seems that summer is coming to an end! Summer flew by this year. it seems like yesterday it was June and I had the whole summer ahead of me, and now it's almost september and I have to wear a jacket to go to work in the morning...  

One of my favourite thing about summer is the fresh herbs, so before summer ends I decided to make one last batch of pesto. Pesto is a staple in our home. I always have jars on hand in the freezer to use all winter long and I'm always sad when I crack open the last one usually too early in the spring to make new one.
Today I'll share our favourite pesto recipe and later this week I'll also post a great pasta salad recipe which uses pesto (it's always a big hit at parties!). Traditionally, pesto is made with pine nuts, but pine nuts can be quite pricey and not always available in smaller grocery stores so in a pinch you can also use walnuts without altering the taste too much. If you are not much of a garlic fan, you can also reduce the quantity, but I would not omit all together as garlic does give an extra kick to pesto. Depending on how creamy you like your pesto, you can also adjust the amount of olive oil you put in.

Enjoy!

Pesto
(based on Joy of Cooking)

4 cups of packed basil leaves
2/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts (this time I used walnuts)
1 cup parmesan cheese
1 cup olive oil
5 garlic cloves
Place the garlic and the nuts in the food processor. Chopped grossly.
Add the parmesan cheese and the basil leave. Pulse a few times.
Slowly pour the olive oil in while the food processor is going. Keep blending until you reach a smooth consistency.
Keep in the fridge for up to a week or up to 3 months in the freezer. Gives 3 cups of pesto.


No comments:

Post a Comment