Monday, October 3, 2011

Colder weather = time to use the oven!

Oh goodness it got cold all the sudden. It probably does not help that I not only have to walk around in the rain and cold for 4 hours a day and then come home to a freezing house because the heat has not been turned on in our building... Way to go McGill, now you've not only taken away my pension and benefits, you've also reduced me to living in an ice box. Let's just hope that they come to their senses quickly. In the meantime, in order to stay warm, we've had to use the good old methods: warm beverages, lighting candles and of course, one of my favourite, using the oven!

At this time of the year, I'm also always trying to use up everything I grew in my garden and the only thing that's left right now is herbs, carrots and parsnips. So I decided to share with you one of my go to recipe roasted root veggies. It is a fantastic way to cook veggies and even those who do not like veggies will like those. They are crispy, sweet and salty at the same time. 
This recipe also uses one of my favourite kitchen tool: the mandoline! I'm always fascinated with how quickly and accurately it can slice fruits and veggies. If you do not have one, you should seriously think about getting one and the best place to get one is usually chinatown! My dad and I have the exact same one and he paid twice as much as I did!

Enjoy!!

Roasted Root Veggies
(Based on a recipe from the Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten)

2-3 large carrots
1 medium size parsnip
2 tablespoon of olive oil
a pinch of salt and pepper
Garlic pepper
Dried parsley
Pre-heat the oven to 425F
Using the mandoline finely slice the carrots and parsnip.
Place them on a cookie sheet covered with a silpat.

Spread the oil over the carrots and parsnip.
Sprinkle the salt, pepper, garlic pepper and dried parsley evenly over the veggies
Place the cookie tray in the oven for 12-20 minutes (depending on the thickness of the veggies), turning once halfway.
Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment