Wednesday, July 6, 2011

White Sangria Jello

Well summer is definitely here now! The last couple of days have been so hot and sticky that I have not really been motivated to cook a whole lot. To be perfectly honest, I would be just fine with eating ice cream or drinking a slushy as opposed to having a regular meal! But since that's not really a healthy option, we've been barbecuing a lot and making lots of salads and sandwiches. When looking for recipes for sandwiches, I found this great article in Chatelaine magazine with pic-nic recipes. The white sangria jello recipe quickly caught my attention.
Although I haven't eaten it in years, as a kid I always enjoyed eating jello especially in the summer. I remember that my mom use to make a pie with tons of strawberries, jello and whip cream when it was strawberry season so the idea of making this hello recipe was quite exciting (I also really liked the idea of using mason jars for containers, it makes it so easy to carry around).

The recipe itself was quite simple and only took a few minutes to complete. Actually it was pretty much as easy as making regular jello if you ask me. The final product was also quite good. It was refreshing and you could definitely tell that it was wine based (which can be a good or bad thing depending on whether or not you enjoy wine!).

Hope you enjoy the recipe and the fabulous weather!!!

White Sangria Jello
(Chatelaine)

1 bottle of fruity wine (I used a riesling)
2 cups of white grape juicy
2 tablespoons sugar
2 enveloppes of unflavoured gelatin powder (7.2 g each)
3 cups of fresh berries (in my case I used peaches and strawberries)
Pour wine into a medium saucepan and set over medium-high. Bring just to a boil, then remove from heat.
Whisk in gelatin and sugar until both are dissolved. Then stir in grape juice
Divide cup fruit among 8 250ml mason jars.
Pour wine mixture. Refrigerate until set (about 3 hours)

No comments:

Post a Comment