Friday, July 15, 2011

Time flies when you're having fun!

I have severely neglected my blog lately. Summer is such a busy time it just seems like I can't do it all so my blog just had to take a back seat for a few days. The last week has been especially busy with packing for our European trip. This will be our first trip across the pond so we want to do it right so there's been tons of research going into planning that trip. We'll be going to Spain, Monaco, Italy and Sicily, Greece, Croatia, Switzerland and France. 7 countries in 3 weeks... I'm not sure if that totally qualifies as a vacation as we will be running around pretty much the whole time!

Jokes aside, I'm really looking forward to enjoying a sangria in Barcelona, gelato and pasta in Italy, chocolates in Switzerland, wine in Bordeaux and Champagne in Reims only to name a few... I've actually never been so excited and so nervous at the same time! Our bags are packed and in a few hours we'll be heading to the airport to embark on this great adventure which means that there will be no posts for a while as our internet access will be limited for the bulk of our trip. Rest assure, there will be lots of pictures and stories when I get back!

But before I go, here is one last recipe. My husband and I have been having a lot of salads lately has our lettuce has been ready for the last couple of weeks. There is something so nice about eating the fruit of your hard labour!
So this week I gathered a bunch of fresh herbs and lettuce and make this amazing salad with steak, baby tomatoes and a spicy chimichurri sauce, so good. If you've never had chimichurri sauce you're in for a treat! It is full of flavour, spicy and it almost has a creaminess to it. Mixed with the fresh veggies and the steak and it was a definitely hit at my house.

Enjoy!

Baby greens, steak and tomatoes with chimichurri
(adapted from Food and Drink magazine)

2-3 dried chili peppers with or without the seeds (depends on how you feel about spicy food)
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
5 tsp red wine vinegar
4 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp parsley
4 tbsp coriander
4 cups of baby greens (in my case I used lettuce)
Leftover grilled steaks (or like me you can grill one for the occasion)
1 bell pepper thinly slice into strips (whichever colour you have on hand)
1 pint of cherry tomatoes
2/3 cup feta cheese or goat cheese
Thinly slice peppers
Place peppers in a bowl along with garlic, salt and pepper, vinegar and oil and whisk together
Place the mixture in a food processor or small blender, add the herbs
Mix until smooth
Place the lettuce in a large bowl
Add cherry tomatoes and bell pepper
Sprinkle with cheese
Add the steak, poor the chimicchuri sauce on top, toss lightly and enjoy!

serves 3-4




No comments:

Post a Comment