Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Diner Party Part 2: Fiddleheads and Edamame Salad with Feta

I’ve often walked by fiddleheads at the grocery store and wondered what I could do with them. One of my aunt had mentioned that she usually cook them with a little bit of butter and garlic, which did sound good, but not enough for me to try them. Since fiddleheads are a source of both Omega 3 and Omega 6 and are high in iron and fiber, I kept looking for a delicious way to prepare them.

A few weeks I got a copy of the Food and Drinks magazine from the LCBO (you can get most of their recipes on their website if like me you don’t live in Ontario) and I saw this cool recipe and thought why not? I mean, how can I go wrong with something that has feta in it!

So on Saturday, I gathered all the ingredients and gave it a go. Thank God it was good, because I did serve it to company! The flavor was good and the texture of the salad was quite interesting (from the creamy feta to the crunchy fiddleheads) and I would definitely try this again.

In case you don’t know, fiddlehead season is fairly short and it’s almost over so if you want to try this, now would be a good time! Hope you enjoy!

Fiddlehead & Edamame Salad with Feta
(adapted from the Food and Drink magazine)


8oz (250G) of fresh fiddle heads, stem end trimmed
1 ½ cup shelled edamame (fresh or frozen and defrosted)
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of sugar
Freshly ground pepper
¼ cup feta cheese, finely crumbled
Fleur de sel for sprinkling

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the fiddleheads, cook for about 3 minutes or until tender-crisp.


Remove fiddleheads from hot water and plunge them into a bath of ice water (to stop them from cooking).


Return the water to a boil, add edamame and cook for 1 minute or until bright green, then drain and refresh in ice water. Place fiddleheads and edamame in a strainer and drain well.

Combine lemon juice, olive oil, pepper and sugar in a small Mason jar close the lid and shake well. Reserve

Toss fiddleheads, edamame and crumbled feta cheese with lemon juice dressing just before serving. Sprinkle with fleur de sel just before serving.

Serves 4-6


No comments:

Post a Comment